Search engine optimization is an incredibly complex topic.
We get a lot of questions about SEO and our Convert websites.
In this article, I’ll talk about how to maximize your SEO with Convert.
I’ll also explain our principles on SEO as a traffic-generation method.
NiceJob’s stance on SEO
Search engine optimization (SEO) is optimizing your website for search engines.
With SEO, you have one goal: to generate more traffic to your website.
SEO is one of many ways to generate traffic to your website.
And as the business owner, generating traffic (marketing) is your responsibility.
Here at NiceJob, we don’t believe that SEO is the best strategy for generating traffic.
I'll explain why below.
In this article, you’ll learn...
- The SEO that’s included with Convert — and what’s not included
- The pros and cons of investing in SEO
- How your Convert strategist can help advise you on SEO
- How to do your own off-page SEO and increase your rankings
- How an SEO company can work with Convert
SEO we do & SEO we don’t do
With our Convert websites, we do on-page SEO.
On-page SEO is the seo done ON your website.
Your site’s H1 tag, as a home service business, should follow this formula:
SERVICE in LOCATION.
This tells Google and your users what you do, and where.
Optimizing your H1 tag is one of the most important on-page SEO steps.
On-page SEO is a one-time thing.
We do not do “ongoing on-page SEO” for your website. There is no such thing.
If you do update your service offerings, then updating your website can help your on-page SEO.
Otherwise, on-page SEO is done when your Convert website is built.
(See our help article on the SEO we do: What types of SEO are included with NiceJob Convert Websites?)
We estimate that on-page SEO accounts for roughly 20% of your website’s ranking in search engines.
If there is very little competition in your area or industry, on-page SEO can be enough to get you on the first page.
That said, do not count on on-page SEO to rank.
You can have a perfectly optimized website — and still not rank high.
That’s because there are many factors that come into play.
If you’re in a major city, it’s going to be much harder to rank on the first page.
If there is a lot of competition in your area, it’s also going to be harder to rank on the first page.
Many of these factors are out of your control. That’s why we don’t believe SEO is the best traffic-generation strategy.
Pros & cons of investing in SEO
SEO isn’t better or worse than other methods of generating traffic to your website.
Like paid traffic or social media, there are pros and cons.
Pros of investing in SEO:
- You can generate a lot of traffic to your website — if you rank on the first page. SEO, if you rank high, can generate a ton of traffic to your website. You can’t generate leads without traffic.
- Organic traffic tends to convert higher. Some people trust the organic results over ads. This often leads to a higher conversion rate from traffic that comes organically.
- Landing pages and blogging can boost your SEO. Leveraging blog posts and landing pages. In doing so, you can go after long-tail keywords (ex: “commercial window cleaning in los angeles” vs “window cleaning” — the former being a long-tail keyword) and generate more traffic.
Cons of investing in SEO:
- Off-page SEO is costly and/or time-consuming. It takes a lot of time to build links. And if you hire a company to do it for you well, it’s going to cost more money. You have to think about your ROI.
- Hiring a company to do your SEO is risky. Off-page SEO is largely a public relations exercise. If you reach out to other websites as the owner, you’ll typically have a higher success rate. But if a third-party is reaching out on your behalf, it’s harder to build trust. Building links is about building relationships.
- Even if you do reach the top spot, you’re competing with paid ads, the local 3 pack, and high-authority domains. With the top spot in Google, you may receive only up to 33% of the overall clicks. There is a lot of other stuff in the search results that draw attention. Ranking 1st is no longer what it used to be.
How your Convert strategist can advise you on SEO
With Convert, you can ask your strategist for advice on SEO.
We have a license to Ahrefs, a premium tool for you to learn what it would take to rank for certain keywords.
Watch the video below for an example of how we can help:
If you want to rank on the first page, or rank as the first result, you’ll have to build links to your website.
How to do your own off-page SEO
If you have more time than money, you can do your own off-page SEO.
Off-page SEO is building links to your website.
Every time another relevant website points to yours, Google counts that link as a “vote.”
The website with the most relevant “votes” (links) typically ranks the highest.
Off-page SEO accounts for most of your website’s overall ranking.
There are two ways of thinking about doing off-page SEO.
You can’t insert links to your own website on other websites. In cases where you can (citations or social media), the links won’t be powerful for SEO. Learn more about no-follow links here.
That means another person will have to manually link to your website from their own website.
How do you get people to link to your website?
You build relationships with them.
Get to know website owners in your industry. Reach out to them and provide value.
When the time is right, ask them for a link to your website. Make sure that linking to your website provides value to their users.
They’re much more likely to link to your website when it makes sense for them.
Whatever you do — don’t ask for links “cold.”
People are much more likely to link to you when they know you, like you, and trust you.
If you have superb content on your website, you won’t need to do much outreach.
Great content attracts links all on its own.
Write a blog post full of great tips, videos, and pictures. Content that provides exceptional value to readers will attract links on its own.
In my opinion, this is the best form of link-building. It’s organic.
That said, creating superb content isn’t easy. It helps to be a great writer. Taking great photos helps as well. And most importantly, you have to be consistent.
What do you feel like you or your business is world-class at?
What topic could you create the BEST content on the internet for?
Use the prompts to help you figure out your content strategy. When you do this the right way, other websites will link out to you — without you having to ask.
Here is some of our recommended reading for DIY link-building:
- 9 EASY Link Building Strategies (That ANYONE Can Use)
- LINK BUILDING FOR SEO: The Definitive Guide (2019 Update)
- Expert Local Business Link Building Survey
How your SEO company can work with Convert
If you hire an SEO company, they can work with Convert.
Your SEO company should be focused on driving traffic.
With Convert, our focus is maximizing your website’s conversion rate.
An SEO company paired with Convert can make a powerful one-two punch.
Ideally, you’ll combine traffic with a guaranteed high-converting website. With this combination, your website will turn into a lead-generating machine.
If you hire an SEO company, they may suggest various on-page SEO edits. They can send those over to our web strategists. Our strategists will make the edits.
If they suggest additional pages, we can build those out as targeted landing pages.
Do you have a lot of content with a similar layout (blogs, city pages, etc)?
If so, a CMS is an effective way to add content to your Convert website.
Bottom line: you can have an SEO company AND Convert.
We’re the experts at conversion rate optimization.
Combine that with traffic, and your Convert website will send you more leads.
If you decide to invest in off-page SEO with an SEO company, we’ll work with them to get you the best results.